It was Monday night, pouring with rain and took me two hours to get home from work. After an hour of sitting on an overcrowded, hot bus I walked home, in a strop. The whole way back, to save myself from cursing TFLs name out loud and knowing I had a butternut squash at home that needed eating I concentrated on what I was going to make for supper. In the sanctuary of home, a purring cat who seemed very happy to see me (even if it was a fake facade of “you’re late, hurry up and feed me now”) I set to making.
This is a warm salad with some of this seasons very best fruit and vegetables. Bright, colourful, delicious and packed with vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants this is a dish that everyone should enjoy. We enjoy it as a meat free dish, but you could easily add some strips of steak, chicken or even some prawns to add something extra. It take about 25 minutes to prepare- and most of that time is just waiting for the butternut squash to roast, which gives you time to light candles, put on some comfy clothes and forget about Monday.
What you need:
To make enough for 4
*1/4 cup tahini
*1/4 cup olive oil
*2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 cup water
*1 pinch sea salt flakes
*1/2 of a lemon, juice only
*1 large bag kale
*1/2 of a large butternut squash or 1 whole small one, chopped in to chunks with skins on
*2 figs, cut in to quarters
- Preheat oven to 180 c
- In to a blender place garlic, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice and water and blitz until smooth and creamy
- Add salt to taste
- Place chopped butternut squash in to boiling water and boil for around 10 minutes until soft
- Place butternut squash on to baking sheet with salt, pepper and olive oil and roast for around 20 minutes until browned at the edges ( place chopped figs in to oven with 5-7 minutes to go)
- In to a pan place a tbsp olive oil and place over heat, add in all kale and stir continuously until all kale covered in oil and slightly reduced in size (only slightly as you do not want to lose any of the amazing nutrients)
- Serve immediately: combine butternut squash, figs and kale in a large bowl and toss with 4 tbsp tahini dressing.
- Top with toasted seeds or even a boiled egg too
- Meat option: add bits of chorizo, prawns or organic chicken or steak.