Whether you have a health condition or not, we should all want to look after our bodies and nourish them with as much nutritional goodness as we can get. I am not a preacher and I certainly would never force how I eat / or what I eat on any one, as everyone has their own lives to lead and differing priorities. But, at the same time, this blog is here to inspire and hopefully show people who eating fresh, natural ingredients can be delicious and make you feel well too.
I know that turning to Paleo or a grain-free / gluten-free diet can be a shock to the system for many at the beginning, especially when things like bread and pasta make up a large part of your diet. However, there are lots of alternatives out there to be enjoyed and the great thing about making recipes yourself is that you know exactly what’s in them. I realise that these alternatives might not “taste” exactly like the real thing but that’s why they are “alternatives”, ultimately healthier options using less nasties and more blood-sugar friendly ingredients.
This recipe for sweet potato, leek and lime fritters is a simple and straightforward one. It’s perfect for having for breakfast with some avocado and eggs, or lunch with some salad or even for dinner perhaps with some homemade tagine or curry. I eat them hot or cold and like to have some in the fridge for when I feel hungry, or when I simply can’t be bothered to make anything (yes, trust me, this does happen!). We live 25 minutes from a shop so always having things prepared and in the fridge is vital.
I always recommend using a non-stick frying pan for this, or / as well as lots of coconut oil or butter. I wouldn’t suggest using olive oil as it doesn’t fry well and the taste would be too overpowering. Feel free to add in any extra herbs or spices and if you don’t like leek then you could substitute for spring onion or even onion.
- 350g Sweet Potato, grated
- 150g Leek, finely chopped
- 3 Large Eggs, whisked
- 2 TBSP Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp grated lime zest
- 1 lime, juiced
- Pinch pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Into a mixing bowl place grated sweet potato, chopped leek, salt, lime zest, pepper and coconut flour and combine
- Add in whisked eggs and fully mix in
- Over high heat in a deep sided frying pan place 2 TBSP coconut oil and allow to melt
- Spoon about 1-1.5TBSP mixture in to the pan and spread to about 2 cm thick (If your mixture is too dry add another egg but 3 LARGE eggs should be plenty for this recipe!)
- Add in up to 4 patties and allow the underside to turn golden brown (about 2-3 mins) before flipping (carefully) and cooking the other side
- Once both sides are nicely browned, place the patties on a baking sheet and pop in the oven for 5 minutes to ensure they are cooked through
- Once cooked squeeze a generous amount of lime juice on to them and serve straight away or allow to cool and serve at a later time