The weather has well and truly turned in the last week and although I am loving scouring the web for a new winter coat everywhere I go everyone seems to be coughing and spluttering with terrible colds… Me included. I very rarely get a cold but when I do I am well and truly knocked down; the temperature, fever, cough, runny nose, sore throat. You name it, I get it. Unfortunately a weakened immune system is part and parcel of having type one diabetes (hooray) and no matter how much Echinacea or vitamin packed soups / smoothies I feed myself – the common cold can still strike its ugly head.
That being said, the last thing I have been wanting to do is cook but be curled up on the sofa (trying to) cuddle Tilly (note: cats aren’t very sympathetic when you want them to be). Luckily my husband has been a shining star and has wrapped me up and acted as the perfect nurse.
I’ve been craving stodgy naughtiness but instead of giving in to my sickly temptation I instead reached for our bread bin and made myself a homemade jam sandwich. I made this sandwich loaf last week and have been tucking into it ever since. (shelf life in a concealed container about 8 days). It’s got a similar consistency to soda bread. It’s thick and dense and with a thick spread of my homemade strawberry jam satisfies every the strongest bread cravings!
As always, I LOVE hearing from you all so please do send me any feedback or pictures etc of any of my recipes that you make.
Loaf tin: (6¼” x 4¼” x 2¾”)
*1/4 cup melted coconut oil
*5 medium eggs
*1tsp raw honey
*1/3 cup coconut flour (3 tbsp)
*1/2 cup cashew nut butter (you can make your own or buy it from the supermarket or online)
*1tbsp apple cider vinegar
*1/2 cup mixed seeds (OPTIONAL pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, linseed, sesame seeds)
*1 tsp baking powder
A handful of any of the following would make for a delicious addition: cranberries, walnuts, dates, olives, capers, sun-dried tomato
- Preheat oven to 180°c
- In to a food processor place all the wet ingredients: eggs, honey, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil and cashew nut butter and blend until fully combined
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients together (coconut flour, baking powder, pinch salt and 3/4 of the mixed seeds).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients slowly and blend in until combined
- Add in the remaining seeds and hand mix in
- In to a fully lined loaf tin pour in your batter and place in to the oven for around 40 minutes until the top has turned to golden brown and a knife comes out clean
- Allow to cool on a wire rack and serve with sweet or savoury