Now I’m not going to lie to you, I’m going to be brutally honest. I have not been to the gym in five weeks… Ok I suppose it’s technically six. There, I’ve said it, I’ve confessed. My body is so unused to movement that after walking up the escalator twice yesterday I broke into a rather embarrassing sweat and woke up the this morning with calf ache! So, instead of consoling myself with another blueberry breakfast muffin I am off to the gym- just right after I’ve posted this new recipe post!
I’ve had lots of questions recently from all you fit folk asking what a good pre or post work out snack is. There are lots of options out there: boiled eggs, a handful of almonds, some cooked ham / chicken or a small green smoothie. One of my favourite post work out snacks however is my raw apple and cinnamon nut bar – not an oven or baking mit in sight. They are so simple to make, last for ages and are always handbag / manbag ready! Perfect for munching on the go, for kids lunch boxes, for taking on the plane, pre/post gym session or just curled up on the sofa with a purring cat watching a good boxset (where you are most likely to find me).
Feel free to mix up the nuts and add in some cheeky extras. These are chewy with a crunch, tasty, simple to make and free from any nasties they are vegan and veggie too!
- *25g /0.88oz Dried Apple
- *150g / 5.2oz Medjool Dates (weight is before they are de-stoned)
- *70g / 2.5oz Pecan Nuts
- *100g / 3.5oz Almonds
- *30g / 1.0oz Desiccated Coconut
- *1 Pinch Salt
- *1tsp Cinnamon
- Optional extras: dark chocolate chips, toasted seeds, orange zest, cranberries
- In to a blender / food processor place all the almonds and pulse until broken up but still chunky, take 1tbsp out and set aside for later
- Add in the medjool dates (unpitted), all the coconut, cinnamon, ¾ of the pecan nuts, ¾ or the dried apple and a pinch of salt
- Place on high speed for about 5-6 minutes until mixture collates in to a ball and is stuck together (it resembles a fudge like consistency at this stage)
- Chop up the ¼ pecans, ¼ apple in to small pieces (this is going to be your added crunch in the bar) add with the remaining almonds and mix together before placing on a chopping board
- Take your ball out of the food processor (if it's very oily you can squeeze out any oil nut milk bag, or just your hands!)
- Roll the ball in to the nut / apple mix and knead the ball until the nuts / apple are fully combined
- Press in to a square / rectangular loaf pan ( I use a silicone loaf pan 27x14x6cm) and place in to the freezer for 1 / 1.5hrs to allow it to set
- Take out of the freezer and cut in to bars / bite sized squares
- Store in a tin and keep in the fridge for up to 4 weeks
- If you would like to wrap them, I recommend using two sheets of grease proof paper (one for any excess oil) and binding them up with some brown string