Recently the folk at Tenderstem® contacted me to invite me to create a delicious Paleo (dairy free, gluten-free, grain free, refined sugar free- phew!) recipe incorporating the delicious Tenderstem®. For those of you that don’t know, Tenderstem® is broccoli’s taller and skinnier daughter. You’ve probably, like me, been using for years but never knew the name of it!
With its parents being broccoli and Chinese kale, you can imagine how much of a healthy choice Tenderstem® is. All the best qualities of broccoli and Chinese kale come together in Tenderstem® to make a sweet and tender stem brassica with good texture. It gives you variety in a balanced diet, and an 80g serving (that’s about six stems) is equal to one portion towards your recommended five a day. Tenderstem® is a nutritional powerhouse! There’s twice the vitamin C content in Tenderstem® than in the same fresh weight as oranges. It’s high in vitamin A and potassium and is a good source of iron, vitamin B6 and calcium. Tenderstem® contains one of the highest levels of folic acid, which is vital for expectant mothers looking to reduce the risk of spina bifida in babies, and valuable for the treatment of anaemia and fatigue.
For more information, recipes and cooking ideas click the link HERE.
This recipe I am sharing is for a Tenderstem®, cherry tomato and salmon quiche. It’s quick to make, great for eating hot or cold and for sharing. As with all my recipes, it’s free from grains, gluten and dairy, packed with nutritional goodness and won’t have a roller coaster impact on your blood sugar level either.
- 100g Ground Almonds
- 80g Sesame Flour (or chestnut flour)
- 20g Tapioca
- 1 Large Egg
- ¼ Cup Coconut oil, melted (alternatively: olive oil)
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1 tsp Ground pepper
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- ½ tsp Fennel
- 130g Salmon Fillet, cooked and flaked
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 3 Large Eggs, whisked
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Ground Pepper
- 130g Tenderstem® (3 whole and the rest chopped)
- 100g Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 180° c
- In to a deep mixing bowl place your dry ingredients (ground almonds, sesame flour, tapioca, fennel seeds, salt and pepper) and fully combine
- Make a well
- Add in a whisked egg and fold in to the mix (it will go quite crumbly)
- Now add melted coconut oil and combine well (it will start to bind together)
- Now add in 1 tbsp water at a time until a dough has formed
- Carefully roll the dough between two sheets of baking paper to 1 cm thick and lay in to a greased pastry dish (Alternatively hand press the dough in to a pastry dish)
- Once pressed in to the pie dish you can either add baking beans (to keep the bottom from rising up) or just fork it 3-4 times (to let any air out once it's in the oven)
- Place in the oven to blind bake for 15 minutes, then remove
- Whilst it’s baking, place the salmon in to a baking dish with a glug of olive oil, salt and pepper for 15 minutes until cooked through. Once cooked through you can flake it
- In to a deep mixing bowl place the coconut milk and whisk in the eggs
- Add in the cooked salmon, salt, pepper and chopped Tenderstem®, fully combine
- Carefully pour in to the pastry case and place chopped tomatoes and the remaining Tenderstem® on top before popping in to the oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown and set.
- Remove and serve immediately or allow to cool, store in the fridge and serve when required
- This will keep in the fridge, covered, for up to 3 days.