These double chocolate hazelnut cream nests my friends, are hands down the best sweet treat recipe on my blog so far. They are unbelievably delicious whilst being raw, dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free AND refined sugar-free. Fun to make, great for kids and they won’t take your blood sugar on a mile long high either. Packed with good fats, fibre, antioxidants, vitamins and nutrients, these treats really are pretty special. I mean, who knew that a sweet treat could have so many health benefits?!
The nest / cup’s are made from hazelnuts, cacao, 4 medjool dates (could be substituted for any other dried fruit or honey), sea salt and desiccated coconut. They have a lovely chewy consistency which is a great contrast to the hazelnut chocolate cream which is buttery, indulgent and thick- just like Nutella but without the 57 cubes of sugar (yes, that is in ONE standard jar). I used silicone cupcake moulds to make these. I bought mine from Asda, but I’m sure there are loads of alternatives online.
It’s so nice to be back in the kitchen and blogging, I have really missed it. It also feels great to be taking photos again, although, as you can probably see below, I got a little too snap happy! Oh well, best to see these gorgeous treats at every single angle possible, I figure.
Wishing you all a happy, healthy and good food filled Easter.
- 125g Hazelnuts
- 2 TBSP Cacao
- 4 Medjool Dates (pitted and soaked for 10 mins in boiling water)
- 100g Desiccated Coconut
- 1 TBSP Water
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
- Choco Hazelnut Cream:
- 75g Hazelnuts, soaked (for preferably 1 hr before hand)
- 1TBSP Cashew Nut Butter (or any other nut butter of choice)
- 100g Raw Chocolate ( or 80% or higher normal chocolate )
- 1 TBSP Coconut Oil
- 2 TBSP Nut Milk (any milk of choice)
- 2 Medjool Dates (pitted and soaked) OR 1 TBSP Raw Honey
- In to a food processor place 125g Hazelnuts and blend until they are finely ground and starting to bind together (about 4-5 mins)
- Add in cacao, coconut and salt and continue to blend
- Now add in medjool dates and blend until the mixture starts to form a dough (If it is not binding enough to form balls in your hand then add 1 TBSP water at a time until the mixture can be pressed easily together)
- Carefully press in to cupcake sized moulds / silicone moulds to make cup / nest shapes
- Place in the freezer for about 1.5 hrs to set and solidify
- To make the cream: In a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water, melt chocolate and coconut oil together
- In to your food processor place hazelnuts, cashew nut butter, nut milk and medjool dates OR honey and blend on high-speed until smooth
- Add in raw chocolate and coconut oil mixture and continue to blend until smooth and creamy
- Take chocolate nests out of freezer and pour mixture in to each one
- Place back in freezer for at least 2 hrs until set
- When ready to serve remove from freezer to thaw out for 20 minutes before eating
- Store in a container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks