One thing that I really try not to do when creating Paleo recipes is over complicate things. For me the worst recipes are those with bucket loads of ingredients that a) you can hardly pronounce let alone know what they are b) cost the earth and quite possibly involve sourcing from another country and c) take hours and hours of preparation and cooking time all for something rather mediocre. In my personal opinion simple food is always the best, especially when it is quick to make and tastes divine. This dish is simply that, part of my ‘fast food’ range of recipes that I can assure you tastes better than the real thing and without the ill health effects. In fact this dish ticks every health friendly box as it’s high in omega 3, protein, vitamins and minerals.
But before I get ahead of myself I must introduce you, paprika prawns meet my lovely readers, lovely readers meet my paprika prawns…. I just know you are going to be the best of friends! They are golden and crunchy with a succulent centre. I love dunking them in my homemade mayonnaise or if I’m looking for a quick salad with a little jazz they add just that. They are the perfect canapé or lunch / dinner accompaniment and a simple and health-friendly way to get children eating fish too!
The crust is made with three simple ingredients, egg whites, paprika and ground almonds (sea salt and pepper optional). You have to whisk your whites up until they begin to stiffen and then you literally dip and coat your prawn in the egg white and then roll it around in the almond/ paprika mix. It’s as simple as that! They crisp up beautifully in the oven and turn a beautiful golden colour. A good squeeze of lime or lemon would go perfectly with this dish too.
I also wanted to let all you recipe lovers know that I am now on Yummly it’s an amazing website as it allows you to access recipes from any where on the web (so long as you have downloaded the “yum” button). You can then press the “yum” button at any time on any page and the recipe will get immediately put on to one central page for you- so technically you will have your very own online recipe book! I really do recommend it! Here’s an awesome blog explaining how you can log in and start collating recipes.
- 160g Cooked and peeled king prawns (Could of course be done with larger prawns)
- 75g Ground Almonds
- 2tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Sea Salt (optional but advised)
- ¼ tsp Ground pepper (optional)
- 2 Large eggs (you will be using the egg whites ONLY)
- Pre-heat oven to 180°c
- Cover a baking tray with foil or baking parchment
- In to a deep bowl separate egg whites from yolks
- Whisk the whites until white and fluffy and starting to stiffen
- On to a large plate place the ground almonds, paprika, sea salt and ground pepper, mix together until fully combined and spread out
- Using clean hands hold one prawn by the tail and dip in to the egg white mix, coat and then place straight on to dry paprika mixture and coat. Place on to baking sheet
- Repeat until you have covered all prawns
- Place in to oven for approx 20 minutes until golden brown (keep an eye on them)
- As soon as they are golden brown and crispy you can serve them, or allow to cool and eat cold
- Eat within a day of making